The WLBS World Women’s Snooker Championship 2018 will run from 14-17 March at the Dolmen Hotel, Malta.
For the first time, the event will be contested as part of the WSF Championships, staged by snooker’s new International Federation the World Snooker Federation.
The winner of the WLBS World Women’s Snooker Championship this year will receive a €6,000 first prize and all eight of the quarter-finalists will receive automatic entry into the WSF Championship, a mixed gender event, carrying a first prize of €10,000 and a place on the World Snooker Tour. This will be the first time that international amateur events are creating an equal opportunity for men and women to qualify for the tour.
Last year’s event was won by Hong Kong’s Ng On Yee, who defeated both 11-time champion Reanne Evans and India’s Vidya Pillai in deciding frames during a memorable final day to capture the title for a second time in Singapore.
There is currently a significant restructure ongoing in the interests of promoting greater participation and opportunities in snooker and billiards for the future. At the heart of this is the creation of the World Snooker Federation (WSF), a new International Federation for snooker based in Switzerland and supported by a range of bodies including the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, the European Billiards and Snooker Association. WLBS shares the vision of the WSF for global sports governance and earlier this year became a full member body.
The WSF is committed to working closely with National Federations (NF) that share its vision for the future of sports governance. In order to promote the interests of these federations a new selection process has been announced for this year’s WLBS World Women’s Championship as follows:
- The top 30 players on the WLBS World Ranking list following the 2018 WLBS British Open will be eligible to be nominated by their national federation to compete.
- In addition to these players, each National Federation (NF) will be able to nominate up to FOUR additional players to compete.
- Only players representing National Federations who are members of the WSF by the event entry deadline of 1 March 2018 will be eligible to be nominated.
- ALL players must be nominated to compete by their NF who will enter players into the tournament. We therefore strongly advise all players to contact their NF as soon as possible to confirm their nomination.
- Any players nominated by their NF who are ranked within the top 30 of the WLBS ranking list will not count towards the four nominations available to each NF.
How to enter
All players must be nominated to play by their National Federations via the following link: http://esnooker.pl/entry_form_wsf/entry_form.php
If you are a player and wish to enter, we strongly advise you to contact your National Federation as soon as possible.
For further information about the WSF Championships please click HERE.